We were a little surprised when we realised that some of our members [and some non-members] were unaware of the services provided to families who have adopted. Very happy to provide the information below. The team at Barnardos are very experienced and have done a lot of very positive work with children who have been adopted from Russia and surrounding areas – and with their families.
Barnardos provides a specialist therapeutic service to children, and teenagers who are adopted both internationally and domestically – and their parents.
The service is available regionally via three centres:
- Dublin: 23/24 Buckingham Street Lower Dublin 1. Tel: (01) 8134100
- Cork: Barnardos, Blackmore House, Meade Street, Cork. Tel : (021) 4310591
- Galway: Barnardos, “The Sanctuary”, 27 Chois Clair, Claregalway, Co Galway.
Services are also provided to adopted adults and their birth families.
What services are provided?
- A therapeutic service for adopted children, teenagers and their families
- A national, confidential helpline and email advisory service available twice weekly and professionally staffed
- Advisory sessions for adoptive parents. Parents may have questions about attachment, school issues, sharing background information and identity development among many other issues
- Group work with children and teenagers
- Group support and training for adoptive parents.
- Specialist training on adoption issues for professional groups such as teachers
- Support groups for birth mothers* and adopted adults
- A counselling/psychotherapy service for adopted adults and birth family members who are referred by Tusla
Barnardos Post Adoption service is funded by TUSLA the Child and Family Agency, through donations from clients and training income.